Table of Contents
- Why Choose Haier?
- Production and Manufacturing
- Haier Warranty Information
- Check Out More Haier Content From RefrigeratorHQ
- Where To Buy
- Similar Brands
- Online Presence
- Contact Information
Why Choose Haier?
Haier (pronounced “higher”) is a leading electronics and appliance manufacturer. Not only does the company offer products at reasonable prices, but the appliances are ENERGY STAR® certified. Standard features include durable materials and easy-to-use controls. Plus, if you experience a problem with your unit, Haier offers prompt customer service.
In the refrigerator category, the brand offers top-freezer, bottom-freezer, French-door, and quad-door models. All fridges come equipped with twin-inverter technology to keep the fridge from running hot. Other features include My Zone (independent temperature settings) and Quick Freeze, which accelerates the freezing process.
The origins of Haier begins in 1920s China. At the time, the Qingdao General Refrigeration plant supplied refrigerators to the Chinese market. After the formation of the People’s Republic of China, the government took over the factory. By the 1980s, the state-owned plant was on the brink of bankruptcy and hired Zhang Ruimin to oversee the factory in 1984. Ruimin, who is the company’s current CEO, turned the failing company into a profitable enterprise.
A tour of the plant in 1984 led Ruimin to smash a refrigerator with a hammer after inspecting it and finding shoddy workmanship. He ordered the workers to destroy the remaining appliances. This action not only made national headlines, but it lit a fire under the workers. Employees knew their jobs were in jeopardy, and the consumer associated the brand with quality. The turn-around was quick. In three short years, the company was making a sizable profit. From 1984 to 2000, sales grew from 3.5 million to 40.5 billion Chinese yuan. The company received many awards during this time, and the government charged Ruimin with managing 18 additional appliance factories.
Ruimin worked on the factory floor before working his way up to supervisor, manager, and CEO. He was an admirer of General Electric’s CEO Jack Welch and used Welch’s management style to motivate employees. Ruimin would meet his idol in the early 1990s when GE offered to buy the company he managed. Ruimin declined the offer. In 2016, the tables turned. GE wanted to sell off its appliance division. Haier bought the brand.
Founding and Milestones
The company’s name is made up of Chinese and German words. Hai means “sea” in Chinese, and Liebherr means “strong” in German. In 1986, Haier partnered with Liebherr, a German refrigerator manufacturer with extensive technical expertise.
The company was known as the Qingdao Refrigerator Group until 1991. During this time, the company acquired an air conditioner plant and freezer business. After expanding its product line, the company changed its name to the Qingdao Haier Group. A year later, the company shortened the name. By 1997, Haier bought five more companies.
Although Haier was the largest appliance manufacturer in the world, it couldn’t gain more than 3% market share. When they expanded their reach to the U.S. in 1999, the company thought appealing price points would be enough to capture consumer interest. They were wrong. The name Haier was unfamiliar to most U.S. consumers, and a majority chose to stick with brands they knew. And by 2015, little had changed in the way of market share.
In 2003, the company opened its first U.S. refrigerator plant in Camden, South Carolina. The cost: $30 million. Up to this point, the company focused on selling low-cost mini-fridges. In 2015, the brand unveiled a compact kitchen suite, and in 2016, it debuted a line of full-size appliances designed for the North American market. In 2021, Haier unveiled the first ‘Internet of Food’ smart fridge, which uses a 5G network. Also, it comes equipped with facial and voice recognition technology to give each family member a personalized experience.
To date, Haier has acquired GE appliances, Fisher & Paykel, Casarte, Aqua, Leader, and Candy. Attempts to acquire Electrolux and Maytag have been unsuccessful.
Production and Manufacturing
Besides household appliances, Haier manufactures and sells computers, TVs, air conditioners, and cell phones. When Haier purchased GE’s appliance division in 2016, it maintained its U.S. headquarters and a manufacturing facility in Appliance Park in Louisville, Kentucky. The company also has plants in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
Haier offers a range of refrigerators. You can choose from a list of features like fingerprint-resistant stainless steel, spill-proof glass shelves, and humidity-controlled crisper bins. Here’s a sampling:
• Haier Bottom Freezer – The brand offers 15 cubic foot and 16.4-cubic-foot bottom-freezer models. Both fridges feature Sabbath mode functions, so you can open and close doors without turning on the interior lights and activating controls. The 15-cubic-foot model also comes equipped with Quick Cool and Quick Freeze functions. The 16.4-cubic-foot refrigerator is a quad-door model with a digital thermostat and humidity-control function.
• Haier French Door – Available in sizes ranging from 14 cubic feet to 27 cubic feet, French-door refrigerators are available with single- and double-freezer drawers. A few models feature capacitive-touch temperature controls, which allow you to quickly increase or decrease the temperatures in the fridge and freezer.
• Haier Quad Door – The Haier quad-door refrigerator comes housed in finger-resistant stainless steel. This 33-inch-wide, counter-depth model features clear edge-to-edge shelves and storage bins.
• Haier Top Freezer – The top-freezer models are available in single-door, quad-door, and French-door designs. Single-door models measure 9.8 cubic feet, making them perfect for apartments short on space. This model comes in white, black, and stainless steel.
• Haier Beverage Center – The beverage center is housed in a metal and black cabinet with a glass door. It has four full-width shelves to accommodate bottles and cans of various sizes. Notable features include an adjustable thermostat, a lock and key system, and a reversible door option so that you can switch the position of the door to open from the left or right.
• Haier Wine Center – The wine center has four shelves, three of which are full-width. It has a 44-bottle storage capacity and features two independently controlled zones to keep wine between 41 and 61 degrees Fahrenheit.
Check out the product reviews and roundups for details.
Approximately 70,000 people work for Haier worldwide. In 2015, the company announced plans to expand its refrigerator plant in Camden, South Carolina. It invested more than $72 million to create the state-of-the-art manufacturing operation. The facility expanded from 365,000 square feet to 615 square feet. Currently, the brand produces approximately 500,000 units per year from this location.
Haier uses the RenDanHeYi method to manufacture its products. The RenDanHeYi system breaks the manufacturing process into microenterprises. It creates a favorable environment by allowing each employee to make decisions that create value for himself and the consumer.
Haier is an IoT (Internet of Things) ecosystem brand with an estimated value of over $16 billion. The IoT allows manufacturers to add internet connectivity and sensors to traditional appliances, allowing them to be controlled remotely. As an ecosystem brand, Haier encourages all parties involved to make and distribute a product of great value. Also, products must benefit society as a whole. One of the metrics for achieving this goal is committing to the sustainability of the environment and its resources.
This concept falls in line with the company’s ESG (Environmental, Social, Corporate Governance) policy. The company aims to provide innovative home solutions that live in harmony with the environment. From research and development to the manufacturing process, the brand builds upon the green concept to reduce the impact of its products on the environment.
Haier uses an intelligent energy cloud platform supported by internet technology to improve energy efficiency. It also minimizes the distance from the manufacturing plant to the consumer.
To date, the company has reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 1.50 kg per unit, decreased packaging materials by 2.41 kg per unit, and lowered energy consumption by 17.72% each year.
Haier Warranty Information
The warranty period varies per appliance. Most refrigerators come backed with a five-year or 10-year warranty. If there is a manufacturing defect within the warranty period, the company will pay for parts and labor to correct the issue. Customers can also purchase an extended protection plan through Assurant.
Check Out More Haier Content From RefrigeratorHQ
RefrigeratorHQ provides in-depth reviews and product roundups of Haier refrigerators. Here you’ll learn how to choose the right refrigerator for your space and lifestyle. We also provide useful links to help you quickly access company announcements and product recalls.
Haier Freezer/Refrigerator Reviews
We sort through dozens of refrigerators to provide you with a comprehensive analysis of refrigerator brands. If you want to know how the Haier brand stacks up to the competition, you’ll discover the pros and cons of different models here.
Haier Freezer/Refrigerator Roundups
Here, you will find information about Haier refrigerators to help you with your buying decision. Compare sizes, styles, and features to see what makes each model unique.
Haier Freezer/Refrigerator Press Releases
Find out the latest news about Haier refrigerators here. When you click the link for press releases, you’ll get directed to a GE site. Use the search engine in the upper right corner to search for information on specific Haier products.
If you register your appliance on the company’s registration portal, you’ll be notified immediately if there is a recall. Otherwise, you can check the Haier recall page to see if the company issued a recall for your product. The list will include the name and model of the recalled appliance, the date the recall was announced, and the reason for the recall. If your product is on the list, click the link and read the instructions on what steps you should take. Or call the Recall Hotline at 877-247-9770 Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. Depending on the issue, the company may offer to repair the appliance, provide a replacement, or issue a refund.
Where To Buy
When you’re ready to buy, navigate to the Haier website. Don’t forget to check out the rebate and promotions page. You can also purchase the brand’s refrigerators from major appliance retailers. Here are a few.
• Best Buy
Bulleted list of similar or competing brands within the product category that our site covers. Check for internal links to those brand pages. [Delete this paragraph block]
If you feel Haier refrigerators don’t suit your lifestyle,
review the research we provide for other brands. Here, you’ll find useful links to brands like Galanz, Kenmore, and LG.
• Magic Chef
Find out more about Haier by visiting the website https://www.haierappliances.com/ and following the brand on social media. Here are links to Haier’s social media pages.
• Visit Haier’s Facebook page to see how the company supports local communities.
• Follow Haier’s Twitter account for sweepstakes announcements and contemporary living tips.
• Get inspired with Haier’s Pinterest board.
• Follow Haier on Instagram for the latest sales info and appliances.
• Learn more about the brand by watching videos on Haier’s Youtube channel.
You can contact Customer Support https://www.haierappliances.com/support/contact-us Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or Saturday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET.
• Customer Service Number: Recent purchases made via haier.com call 800-799-3396
• Toll-free Number: Existing appliance owners should call 877-337-3639
• Customer Service Email: Use the chat option or the email portal on the brand’s website
• Haier Appliances Consumer Relations: PO Box 1780, Rapid City, SD 57709