Table of Contents
- Different Types and How Much They Weigh
- Mini Fridge Weight With Regard to Dimensions and Size
- Why Is Weight Important When Considering a Mini Fridge?
- Insights and Takeaways
Mini fridges are helpful in situations where you might not be able to have a full-sized refrigerator. But how much do they weigh, and are they easy to move and maintain? The weight of a mini fridge can range widely from 10 to 110 pounds based on the type and size of appliance that you choose.
That is the simple answer, but we have compiled some information about the different types of mini fridges, their intended uses, and how much the types weigh in general.
Different Types and How Much They Weigh
Although there are many situations where someone might need a mini fridge, when most people think about mini fridges, they think of a dorm room or a hotel room fridge. Most mini fridges are classified into one of four types:
- Micro fridges
- Compact fridges
- Mini beverage centers
- Road trip and camper mini fridges
With each of these types of mini fridges, the designers and manufacturers had specific purposes in mind for them. Now, let’s go over some of the pros and cons of the different types and how much they weigh.
All About Micro Fridges
Micro fridges are the smallest type of mini fridges. Usually, these fridges weigh between 3 and 14 pounds. These fridges are ideal for people who want to keep a few things chilled and close at hand. They are best for bedrooms and offices that have little space for a regular-size mini fridge. Usually, these fridges have space to hold six to 12 soda cans. They can also hold medications, cosmetics, or snacks.
They usually do not have separate compartments, like a refrigerator and freezer section. Some people also choose to use these types of mini fridges to store medicine that needs to be chilled and kept below room temperature — for example, insulin. Another nifty feature about micro fridges is that they are not only lightweight, but most models can also be plugged into a car to take on the road if needed.
Micro fridges evolved from the larger compact mini fridges traditionally known for being used in dorm rooms. In the past, the only choices people had were compact mini fridges and full-size refrigerators. While at home, a regular refrigerator is ideal, and in a dorm room, a compact fridge provides you with many of its features. However, the micro fridge was designed for people that had even less space than a student in a dorm room. Micro fridges are small enough that they can sit on an office desk, which is ideal for a quick snack grab at work without having to get up.
Some micro fridges can have their temperature adjusted, which adds to their versatility. These fridges also tend to be cheaper than some of the other mini fridge types, which makes them affordable for those who are operating on a smaller budget.
- Lightest model type
- Can fit in smaller spaces
- Different power options
- Some models have portability options
- Usually don’t have sections
- Don’t have freezer compartments
- Practical and stylish: The compact fridge has a futuristic aesthetic , plenty of features, and a low-noise system. The upgraded AstroAI 6L Skincare Fridge is the first choice for bedrooms, offices, dormitories, trips, and more. Valentines Day Gift
- Suitable capacity: Its upgraded interior readily stores up to 8*355ml cans or 4*20oz bottles of water. Inner dimensions are 5.67” x 5.28” x 10.08”. The detachable shelf lets you easily store beverages, cosmetics, and foods at varying heights
- Warming and cooling functions: Cools up to 32-40℉(18-22℃) below ambient temperature, keeps warm up to 150°F (66°C). With upgraded technology like an enhanced refrigeration chip and improved insulation, the AstroAI mini fridge delivers superior temperature control and performance. NOTE: The refrigerator needs to be powered on to actively cool. In order to ensure efficient cooling, avoid frequently opening the doors
- Home & car use: Includes 2 power cords, 1 AC and 1 DC. Connect the 110V AC power cord to any standard wall outlet for easy at-home use. For use on the go, connect the 12V DC power cord to a vehicle cigarette lighter. Make your trip more convenient!To ensure the safety of electricity, this product is only used in countries and regions with 110v voltage
- Intuitive design: Unique silicone pads on the base prevent slippage, while the hidden hinges protect against scratches. This design makes the fridge easier to handle while protecting furniture and vehicles. NOTE: If the door doesn’t snap shut when closed, press the handle to fully secure it
Traditional Compact Fridges
Compact fridges were originally manufactured and designed for smaller offices and dorm rooms that require some sort of refrigeration but do not have the space for a full-sized refrigerator. Over the years, these fridges have gotten smaller and weigh less. But they have been designed with innovative technology to make them just as effective as a regular refrigerator without taking up as much room. Compact fridges can weigh between 30 and 80 pounds, depending on the model.
The refrigerator weight varies drastically compared to other types of mini fridge types, but when purchasing a mini fridge, it is important to ask yourself, “How much does a mini fridge weigh?” If you need a real refrigerator but do not have the space for a full-size model, a compact mini fridge is the best option for your needs. These models can vary in size and weight, depending on their features and styles. You should check the mini fridge dimensions to ensure that you will have the room for the model you want, and you need to make sure that you have a secure structure that can hold the fridge without buckling.
The price range for compact fridges varies depending on the mini fridge’s size, weight, functions, and features. Some compact fridges have a small ice-type container for frozen foods, but some of them have completely separate compartments like those of a traditional refrigerator. Due to the type of refrigeration provided by most compact fridges, they need to be placed on a surface that can withstand some sort of moisture. This is just a precaution in case the refrigerant ever leaks from the fridge.
- Usually has freezer sections
- Has multiple compartments for different items
- Functions the same as a full-size refrigerator
- Bulkier than most mini fridges
- Use this micro fridge to store and cool your lunch, drinks, beer, baby bottles or even soup.
- 4 Liter capacity chills six 12 oz. soda cans; interior is 5 x 5 x 7. 5 and includes removable shelf so you can store small items such as yogurt, fruit, milk, bottles etc.
- Plug Into home outlet
- GO GREEN. : This product was engineered with thermoelectric technology. It uses advanced semiconductors that are free of CFC's and refrigerants, making it better for the environment
- 1-year hassle-free
Mini Beverage Centers and How They Can Be Useful
Mini beverage centers are more specially designed models that serve a particular purpose. These types of mini fridges are designed only to hold beverages of different types. Some people use these centers for sodas or beer, but some use them as a wine cellar substitute as well. The mini fridge size of these centers can vary depending on the model, but they generally weigh between 40 and 110 pounds. Just like compact fridges, these beverage centers can give off condensation, which means that they should only be placed on surfaces that resist water. This is a precaution to prevent any damage to the surface after prolonged exposure to the beverage center sitting on it.
A beverage center is not the usual choice for a mini fridge unless you have a specific reason for it because it is designed to hold nothing but beverages. Some of these centers have different compartments that allow you to set different temperatures if needed. For instance, you might need your sodas to be at a different temperature than your wine bottles. Regardless, beverage centers do not have the capability of freezing or keeping things frozen.
- Depending on size, can hold 50 to 150 cans of soda
- Different sections to separate beverages.
- Usually has different temperature controls
- No freezer compartments
- Only designed to hold beverages
- MODERN ELECTRIC BEVERAGE COOLER - This 3.2 cubic feet, free standing beverage refrigerator features an elegant see through, left hinge glass front door with a stainless steel frame for you to view your wine, beer or soda at a glance. Its white LED interior light illuminates for easy, nighttime selection of your favorite chilled drink
- LARGE CAPACITY BEER & WINE CHILLER - Under counter beverage cooler with large, internal storage design is equipped with 3 adjustable and removable chrome shelves. Drinks organizer conveniently holds up to 120 standard sized soda or beer cans, or several bottles of wine
- ADVANCED TEMPERATURE CONTROLS - Single zone beverage mini refrigerator has an easy touch temperature control that cools down to 34°F, and large digital display for quick monitoring and setting of any temperature. Its memory function automatically restores the preset temperature of the cooler in case it becomes unplugged, or in the event of a power outage
- POWERFUL COOLING SYSTEM - Our 120V 240W heavy duty, vertical chiller features energy efficient advanced technology, and a whisper quiet compressor that works with a small convection fan to cool quickly, and keep consistent air circulation for a uniform temperature supply inside. Perfect for an office, dorm, apartment, RV, restaurant, home kitchen and more
- AUTO DEFROSTING FUNCTION - Beverage cooler is also designed with an additional temperature sensor for auto defrost mode. External size: 18.9” W (front across) x 33.3” H (top to bottom) x 17.30” D (front to back). Internal size: 16” W x 29” H x 12” D. NOTE: Images show EXTERNAL Dimensions rounded UP to nearest decimal. Warning: Do not use this cooler to store fresh foods, such as meats, vegetables, fruits, etc. This product can only be used to chill beverages.
Mini Fridges for Campers and Road Trips
Camper mini fridges are designed for people that enjoy camping and going on road trips. They are more convenient than traditional coolers that require you to use lots of ice to keep things cold. However, you will need to have somewhere to plug the model into to keep it working. Most of these little fridges weigh between 20 and 50 pounds, which makes them convenient to carry with you wherever you need to go.
Plus, they usually have a rechargeable battery built into the design, which will allow you to keep them going. They usually have different types of power cords that will make it convenient for you to recharge them, as needed, whether it be in a regular power outlet or plugged into your car. Most of these models also come with some sort of handle or other mechanism that makes it easier to carry with you from your camper to your campsite.
These fridges might not be able to keep meat frozen, but they are adequate to keep anything you would put in a traditional refrigerator cold. So, for instance, if you have something like hot dogs or sandwich meat, these models are adequate to keep them cold enough so that they will not go bad. Having food at hand can add a lot of convenience to your road trip menu.
- Designed to be portable
- Can keep things cold without ice
- Excellent for camping and road trips
- Needs some sort of power to keep it charged on long trips
- Keeps things chilled but not frozen
- NO ICE NEEDED: Refrigerate or Deep Freeze down to –7 °F using powerful VMSO3 compressor cooling technology
- RUGGED CONSTRUCTION: Heavy-duty, lightweight ExoFrame construction and aluminum alloy handles will stand up to any conditions
- ULTRA LOW POWER CONSUMPTION: Power via AC, DC or Solar and built in 3-stage dynamic battery protection system prevents dead batteries
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: CFX3 App allows temperature control via WiFi or Bluetooth and provides performance history
- EASY TO USE: High-Resolution-Color-Display and Soft-Touch-Buttons enable seamless control and monitoring of cooler performance
Mini Fridge Weight With Regard to Dimensions and Size
When most people think of a mini fridge, the traditional dorm room mini fridge is what they picture. Most of these types of mini fridges have around 1.7 to 4.5 cubic feet of storage space. A mini fridge of this size will run close to the average weight of 45 pounds, but this can still vary depending on the design of the refrigerator. Traditional mini fridges and beverage fridges are typically the largest in size and weight compared to the other types.
However, the inside of a micro-fridge is generally measured in inches rather than cubic feet. This is due to the type’s limited amount of space and the portability that it is known for. This is partially why they are so light. Whereas a traditional mini fridge might have a freezer and larger compartments, the micro-fridge was designed for one or two people to use, and it has smaller usage requirements than other mini fridge types.
When you are considering any type of mini fridge, the weight of the appliance is important, especially for the portable types like the micro fridge and the camper fridge. With these two types, you want the fridge to weigh as little as possible while still being made from high-quality materials. This is because you will have to add the weight of the contents inside the fridge when you start to move it around. The traditional mini fridge and the beverage center, on the other hand, are meant to be stationary and seldom moved.
Why Is Weight Important When Considering a Mini Fridge?
The weight of a mini fridge is extremely important because, depending on what you want to use the mini fridge for, weight might even be the deciding factor. For instance, the weight of the mini fridge will determine how easy it is to maneuver in the given space, and generally, the less a mini fridge weighs, the smaller its dimensions. This means that it will take up less space in the area where you want to place it. That being said, it is also important that portable mini fridge types are as light as possible. When you are moving them, you have to add the weight of the items you have inside the container to decide whether you can carry them alone or will need someone to help you.
Insights and Takeaways
When looking for a way to keep things cold, you have a lot of options that were not available even five years ago. Finding the right type of mini fridge is an important decision, and weight and space come into play greatly when making your final purchasing decision. Each type has its pros and cons, and you need to know what you want from your mini fridge before making your choice.
You need to consider the space where the fridge will be placed and the amount of weight that can be supported there. For instance, if you are putting a mini fridge on an office desk, you have to make sure the desk can withstand the weight, and the size will not dominate the desk and get in the way when you’re performing a task at work.