A standard home refrigerator consists of two sections; freezer and fridge. Your fridge holds the key to satisfying your hunger, saving your leftovers, and keeping your items fresh. That being said, it is vital to utilize cold storage space properly to get the maximum out of your machine.
Whether you’re storing food in a freezer or the depths of your fridge, it needs protection from freezer burn. This is when food discolors and drys out because it has been exposed to cold temperatures. With so many products to help protect food in your unit, it can be challenging to find the best options on the market.
In this blog, we’ll cover the top 5 best refrigerator/freezer containers. To learn more, read on.
Review of the 5 Best Refrigerator Containers
We started our hunt by listing the best cold storage containers currently available in the market. Then we sifted through product descriptions, and read all the user reviews: the result, a list compiled of the best freezer storage containers just for you. We also included a buying guide and an FAQ section to help you make the best purchase decision.
Enther makes products to help make our lives easy and organized. This brand of cold storage containers is committed to providing consumers with innovative, high-quality, user-friendly, and cost-effective essentials for everyday use. Their freezer storage box is a prime example of the brand’s vision and product line.
These meal containers are made from plastic and come in a lidded design (air-tight) to ensure maximum freshness and ease of use. These boxes are better than metal ones as they crack after a couple of months while these keep going for multiple uses.
The containers are BPA-free and are microwave and dishwasher safe, and don’t get old with time. Instead, they get better for repeated use. You can use them in any condition you like and anywhere you want.
The 12 boxes pack come with a 10-time use warranty. The brand will refund your order if the boxes break before ten uses. These boxes offer end-user maximum versatility for daily or long-term use. You can use it 30 times with an average load and ten times with heavy use. In addition, it can withstand up to 12 lbs of pressure.
Moreover, these boxes are odor and stain-resistant. Therefore, they will not hold onto the smell of frozen foods. Hence, they are best for freezing prepared meals and leftovers.
Overall, the buyers are satisfied with the boxes. Review analysis reveals that these boxes are easy to clean, are deep, and perfect for Asian and Western lifestyles. People praise these boxes because they make leftovers look appealing, are sturdy, and are the ideal size for an average American family. The typical pain points reported by the buyers include melting when left longer in a microwave oven and damage due to handling and delivery. In addition, the boxes may leak and crack easily if not handled with care.
Each box can store up to 28 oz of food and measures 8.9 x 6.2 x2.6 inches. These boxes are not only usable in freezers; you can also use them for outdoors, kids and office.
Like most of us, you’re going to need to store fresh food in your refrigerator and maybe even your freezers. Rather than put these items in orthodox lidded containers or freezer bags, you can avoid fruit or vegetable rot with proper cold storage solutions.
Rubbermaid’s fresh works produce storage container is an ideal storage box in such scenarios. The box comes with a crisp tray that keeps moisture away from the product to reduce spoilage. In addition, it features a fresh vent technology that regulates the flow of oxygen and carbon dioxide to provide an ideal produce environment. You don’t need to worry about the vent filter as it will last for the box’s lifetime.
The box is dishwasher safe and BPA-free. You don’t need to worry about anything while using this box. The set of 3 includes one 6.3 cup and two 17.3 cup boxes. However, there are plenty of options available for you, and you can buy a box with up to 18.1 cups capacity. These boxes are ideal for storing asparagus, iceberg lettuce, and spinach. The 6.3 cup box is recommended for berries, strawberries, and peas. You can store broccoli and bell peppers in the 11.3 cup container.
To ensure that your products stay moisture-free, the containers have been designed with an elevated base. It keeps the freezer body away from the fresh foods, and they don’t suffer nasty freezer burns. Please note that the manufacturer recommends storing the foods without washing them as the water taken up by fresh foods during washing can speed up rotting.
The container helps save time and money by avoiding frequent trips to the grocery store as it could store your food for a longer time in freezers/fridges/refrigerators. Buyers are satisfied with their purchases. The positive points highlighted in the review section are the excellent ability to retain freshness. They also mention good build quality and excellent value for money. The drawbacks include the requirement of lithium-ion batteries to function, dirty filters (needs cleaning), and shipping problems. It takes up quite a bit of space in your refrigerator as well.
Mason jars are best for storing liquids, soups, broths, and baby foods. The best thing about mason jars is that they offer additional freshness and protection when you store food in them. Mason jars have a two-part top. It comes with a twist-remove cap with a vacuum seal. The vacuum seal keeps the contents safe for longer, even when the container is not kept in a freezer.
This set, Verones Mason Jars, is a 15 pack set with each jar having a capacity of 8 oz. The lids are made from BPA-safe, corrosion-resistant materials that meet all the safety standards. In addition, each jar comes with time tested air-tight ceiling compound to help ensure food freshness.
The jars are microwave-safe but don’t forget to take off the lid before heating them. These jars are dishwasher safe as well. The reusable jars will go a long way with you as you can wash them and store something entirely different the next day. These jars are stain and odor-resistant as well.
Overall, these jars are versatile. You can use them for jelly, jam, honey, along with baby foods. You can even use them for milkshakes or making DIY candles.
The jars have been designed for canning. The manufacturer claims that it can refrigerate for up to 3 weeks and freeze for one year. You can also preserve food in it for up to one year. Overall, this is a must-have for any kitchen.
The buyers are generally satisfied with their purchases. The plus points are quick and smooth delivery, super-built quality, ideal size, and excellent preservation capabilities. The negative issues highlighted by buyers are poor packaging and flimsy lid material.
Perfect for freezing anything from dog treats to lasagna — Souper Cubes is an ideal solution for all such times. You can also use them to store small amounts of food for everyday use like pastes, vegetables, soups, broth, and much more.
Souper Cubes trays are built with thick silicone walls and a steel-embedded rim for extended durability and strength. Don’t worry; the silicone used is 100% FDA food-grade silicone. The lid is made from BPA-free plastic and fits snugly to avoid spills, prevent freezer burns and eliminate air entry.
The boxes are oven and dishwasher-safe. Please don’t place the lid in the oven. Moreover, trays are oven safe up to 415 degrees F.
One tray consists of 4 sections or wells. Each well has four fill lines at ½ cup, 1 cup, 125 mL, 250 mL to help you measure out the contents easily.
Buyers cherish the storage container. Countless reviews mention how the Souper Cubes tray has enhanced leftover food utilization and increased saving. These trays are best for solo living or couples because they can store many dishes in 1-dish serving. People like this tray because it is excellent for freezing soups, sauces, milk, and other liquids. The main reservations expressed by buyers are the brittle plastic lid and shipping problems. Moreover, it is not best for small refrigerators. Overall, the product offers great value for money.
Rubbermaid’s leak-proof cold storage containers are perfect for a variety of large scale uses. The large-capacity boxes (9.6 cups) are ideal for medium and large families. In addition, you can easily store large meat portions in it.
These boxes are 100% leak-proof with crystal clear lids that increase usability. The plastic used is 100% BPA-free. Air-tight containers help keep food fresh and moisture-free. The boxes come with vents for splatter-free microwaving. These boxes are dishwasher safe as well, so you’ll have no issue washing them.
The boxes are made with stain and odor-resistant boxes that keep plastic food containers looking new even after months of use. These boxes are also modular, stackable, and portable as it saves space.
Overall, the boxes offer great value for money, which is evident from excellent ratings and reviews. The positive points mentioned in the reviews are dishwasher and freezer safe, air-tight, and stain-proof. In addition, people praise these boxes for easy to clean and portability features. On the other hand, the typical pain points mentioned in the reviews include poor shipping and customer service. In addition, some buyers had a poor experience with the box as the boxes failed to tolerate a slight jerk and broke.
Freezer Containers Buying Guide
What is a Cold Storage Container?
A cold storage container is a dedicated box used to store items in your refrigerator or freezer. These boxes come in different shapes and sizes and are user-friendly compared to other freezing methods. Avoid worrying about food rot, freezer burns or an unorganized fridge as these containers keep everything sorted for you.
Types of Fridge Storage Containers
Refrigerator/Freezer storage containers differ by three main attributes; size, shape, and material. Let’s get to know them concerning these three parameters.
- Size: You can find a cold storage box up to 17.3 cups or as small as one with 1 cup portions. Storage box sizes are also measured in oz.
- Shape: Storage containers come in a lidded box style that is best for storing leftovers or uncooked meat, vegetables, or anything that needs a square or rectangular storage area. You can also find crisp drawer-style storage boxes that are best for storing fruits and vegetables before washing them. They help control the moisture inside the box and keep the foods fresh. The third commonly used type is jars. Jars are best for storing liquid items. For example, you can store broth, tomato paste, or anything liquid. Another typical shape is the cube-style storage box. These boxes are ideal for storing small food portions or broth, soup, and sauces.
- Material: The most commonly used materials are glass and plastic. These materials are primarily microwaveable and dishwasher safe. Often you will need to defrost frozen items out of the refrigerator; a microwaveable box will make things easy for you. The other common material is stainless steel. You will also find disposable storage boxes made out of paper. They are a good option, too, but they can warp when left in the freezer for an extended time.
Why Freezer Safe Containers are a Good Investment?
To see why these containers are a good investment, let’s check out their advantages.
- Organization: These boxes keep your freezer section organized and help utilize freezer space to its maximum capacity. Just imagine rummaging through a bunch of plastic bags in your freezer to locate the required item. Now think of just checking transparent boxes and locating your required item in a couple of seconds. That’s how easy your life gets after you start using storage containers.
- Space Saving: An organized freezer creates space for more food items than a disorganized one. Consider the example of your wardrobe here. What’ll happen if you just through your clothes in your closet without folding them or hanging them up. They’ll pile up on each other and occupy way more space than they should, and you’ll have to spend a significant amount of time searching for your required apparel. The same goes for your freezer. Storage boxes are the only effective way to save space in your freezer and get more out of it.
- Fresh Food: The most significant benefit of storage boxes is fresh food. Keeping your food or meat in freezer bags or plastic bags increases the risk of freezer burn. Peeled vegetables stored for later use can get freezer burn, and it destroys the texture and taste. Freezer boxes won’t do any damage to the food in them. The items will not get in touch with the freezer body, and thus they will stay safe. Moreover, freezer containers also serve as a thawing bowl. The blood and water from frozen food will gather inside the bowl and will not make any mess in your freezer or on your kitchen counter.
Apart from the above three fundamental advantages, there are numerous benefits that you can enjoy once you start using these containers. So, now that you know what a freezer storage container is, how it works and why it is a good idea to invest in one, let us present you with some of the best containers that you can use to get the best out of your freezer.
How to Choose the Right Cold Storage Containers
To select the best fridge storage containers, you need to analyze their features. Once you know what features are present in the container, you will be in a better position to decide if it is the right one for you or not. So, let’s check the features you need to consider before buying a freezer storage box.
Food Freezing Tips
- Make sure your containers are properly closed and sealed tightly.
- Don’t forget to leave some space between the liquid and lid as liquids expand after freezing. If you jam-pack the liquids in the container, it can burst upon freezing.
- Make sure you know what foods a particular container can handle. Moreover, don’t put warm or boiling food into the food containers. Warm foods can cause condensation inside containers.
- You may need to blanch some foods before freezing. Blanching is a cooking process in which some foods (fruits and vegetables) are briefly immersed in boiling water and then dipped in icy cold water to halt the cooking process. It helps reduce quality loss over time.
- Placing smaller portions will help reduce the freezing time. It is best to lower the temperature of your freezer 6-12 hours before placing storage boxes in freezers.
- Store foods in separate components that thaw and freeze at different rates—for example, chicken and broccoli.
- Use compartmentalized containers for foods that you want to store in bulk but use in small portions.
- Finally, make sure that the container is freezer safe. You don’t want the container to burst open in your freezer. All the containers on our list below are freezer-safe.
Glass and BPA-free plastic containers are best for storing food in freezers. They are easy to use, store and wash. Moreover, you can reuse them without any issues.
Plastic containers with a freezer-safe stamp are safe for the freezer. You can find this stamp underneath the box or on the packaging.
Jar-style containers or compartmentalized containers are best for freezing soups or other liquids.
No. You must let the food cool down before placing them in freezers. Placing hot food in the freezer can temporarily raise the freezer’s temperature, causing changes in the taste and texture of your food.
You can use a plastic container as long as it is not damaged or broken in a way that can harm your food.
Yes. You can freeze certain types of milk. Make sure you check on the packaging before putting milk in the freezer.
Check Out More Of Our Product Reviews
These Are The Best Chest Freezers To Store Extra Food, According to Reviews
Best Freezers on the Market: Our New Freezer Review Guide
Who Has Freezers on Sale? (And What You Should Expect This Black Friday 2021)
Guide to Buying a Freezer Only: How A Stand-Alone Freezer Can Save You Money
These Are the 5 Best Bottom Freezer Refrigerators You Can Buy Today
Buying Guide: Mini Freezer Reviews + Our Top 5 Picks
These Are The Best Freezer Brands You Should Consider Today
The Ultimate Guide to Freezer Temperatures
Best Garage Freezers Reviewed: Upright, Chest, and Deep Freezers
A refrigerator or freezer can easily become a black hole if you don’t keep it organized. Cold Storage containers are the most affordable and hassle-free way to keep your fridge organized like a pro. With the proper storage containers, you’ll have to ready-to-use and easy-to-find food right after opening your freezer.